the big dumb game ideas megathread

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: the big dumb game ideas megathread

Postby Mongrel » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:27 pm

Grath wrote:I mean, making the player a cop just gives them the slightest justification for being a murderhobo. Other first responders are required to actually, y'know, do useful things that might help people.

That's the implication, yes.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:50 pm

This would have been real cool 5-6 years ago; I feel like in the modern, a-heh, climate, something like fighting wildfires is too politically charged to be a commercial product.

As a non-commercial product, though.

If I wasn't useless at producing things in my current life position I'd take a stab at prototyping it. A little bit Burning Rangers, a little bit EDF, and maybe a little bit Power Wash Simulator? Hell.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:29 pm

I have to admit, I hesitated posting it for a bit when I remembered "oh, right, an internet chum nearly died in a wildfire not too long ago, so this might not be a cool idea." At the same time, I also thought about all the modern-ish and 20-minutes-in-the-future FPS games that, at least to me, have always felt rather inappropriate. So I have no idea how this would really go over.

Might be fun to try drawing some mock-ups, though. Never hurts to daydream!
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:31 pm

I think "playing firefighter" would enable a person to play a heroic protagonist in a way that's a HELL of a lot healthier than the vast majority of games where the player is intended to be a hero of some sort.

Especially FPSes, which lean towards models like cop, mercenary, soldier, mafiosa, spy, agent, survivor, etc.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:47 am

I've been trying to keep something like that in mind while building the world for a possible D&D game with the family. Trying to imagine a setting where the heroes are helpers first and fighters second. Not really sure how I'm going to swing that when Kiddo 01's choice of character is looking like a CG cat ninja, but we'll figure something out. Something along the lines of "using your talents to help people more than hurt them," or how so many bad guys are really just angry or scared and only fight because they feel they have no other choice.

I keep thinking back to some possibly cringey Warcraft OC stuff* and how the non-martial stuff could be way more heroic. Sure, "war" is right in the title, but what about rescuing orcish children trapped in a collapsed building? Or shepherding a shipment of food for refugees? Or helping a spirit find peace with words from their loved ones? Or retrieving a priceless momento for no reward beyond making an old woman happy?

Meanwhile, I can't help but feel like most of the murder-hobo stuff would give anyone who tried that PTSD. Like, could you seriously slaughter dozens of zealots in a corrupted temple in the heart of the earth in the span of a few minutes and NOT have nightmares about it ever after? That'd make more sense, and maybe even make the character more admirable; bloodshed and grief are things the character carries with them and never truly shakes.

*hey, I played the same character for years with some uncommonly nice people. I'm a little attached, sue me
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:14 am

Yoji wrote:looking like a CG cat ninja

That can still be helpful! :V

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:33 am

That looks like a heck of a lunch, to be sure, but that deliverycat is clearly a samurai, not a ninja.

mharr

Postby mharr » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:28 pm

The perfect ninja disguise

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:55 am

I've been messing around with trying to use an older version of RPG Maker to do a top-down action game, and it seems like the utilities for it are there, if a little sloppy. But before I buy the latest version to mess around in, I was hoping someone might be able to suggest another engine/maker (I have zero experience with actual coding) that would support the full extent of the demo I'd like to put together, including:

Top-down real-time action
"Vehicles" or map elements that can be moved/controlled by player input
Moveable/placeable items (like a pack that shows on the player model, and can be set down on the map)
Destructible environments. Specifically the "vehicles" and placed items.

I feel kind of dumb trying to put what I'm thinking of into words since I don't really know any terms, or the extent any system may specifically be preferable in these aspects. But any suggestion for something to at least look more into helps.

mharr

Postby mharr » Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:47 pm

There's a really good first principles guide to building in Unity here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... GZW5G_NAxa

Unity is a full coding environment but it's more interactive than most, you can install a blank slate FPS, platformer or top down vehicles and guns engine then prod at switches and values in the running game and see how the pieces react. If you've messed around with Tabletop Sim at all you already have the basics.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:26 pm

Unity and GameMaker were my first thoughts. The scope of unity is a bit daunting, but it does mean a lot of resources and tutorials. GM similarly, and would have been my first option but I learned about the subscription model and had backed off, until I saw Steam still has the complete non-sub version.

I also learned about Godot, which is opensource and built more for 2d. But not nearly the resources of GM or Unity.

Honestly this is all really overthinking some level of success with the demo I'm trying to make not easily expanding to a full game. Which is... silly to plan for at this point.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:26 pm

check game maker, see if you get comfortable with it. otherwise you might have to buck down and code everything in unity/c# sorry

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun May 08, 2022 5:05 pm

game story morality tied to a rage/combo system. you get stronger and faster attacks, reaction parries, and other buffs as you build combos. but the more you use it the more dialogue is limited to rash and aggressive options that change the path/endings.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:26 am

MMO with a single, persistent PVP area with multiple types of objectives in different sections of the map. You sign up for an objective and deployment time from 10min intervals. You can freely deploy and roam the area, receiving your full reward at the end of the deployment time, a penalty if you exit early, and a bonus if you complete an objective assigned based off where players are currently needed. Deployments arrive as reinforcements every 10 minutes at set areas near the objectives.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:20 pm

So, a large-scale military campaign model?

I could swear that's been done, but damned if I can remember where.

Grath

Postby Grath » Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:54 pm

Mongrel wrote:So, a large-scale military campaign model?

I could swear that's been done, but damned if I can remember where.

Planetside 2 was an MMOFPS with generally large-scale military campaign model, but with F2P2W mechanics rather than RPG ones.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:21 pm

Been on a serious pokemon kick and thinking about what exactly I'd like in my perfect game. I think it goes a little something like this...

Two rival gangs like Magma/Aqua, you start choosing your side and the gang you don't pick does all the bad stuff you end up having to stop.
Instead of gyms you can fight your way up the ranks by beating your superiors in pokebattles or through efficient questing.

Collect pokes by engaging other trainers, you win and you choose one of theirs. Also at a certain point you can request a thief steal eggs of anything in your 'dex from the local breeders or something.
There's still room for the new capture system from arceus in some degree. But I don't like collecting wild pokes, gotta be stolen.

Six pokemon still, I don't think we're ready for that to change yet. But split into two teams of 3. You only get access to the team you have active for any given battle.
A lot of 3v3 fights. Some team v. team, some with multiple npc partners.
Other trainers use full teams. None of this recent 2-4 pokes up until the endgame bullshit.
Healing items are cheap and efficient out of battle to easily recover between fights, but are limited by use or cooldown to some extent in combat.
Arceus' agile/strong system was a good idea, but the implementation seems kind of bad. I'd like something closer to a initiative system where different attacks already add a certain amount to your wait timer. Still allowing for slow and heavier or faster lighter attack modifiers.

Niku

Postby Niku » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:12 am

give me team rocket x-com or give me death

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:07 am

Harvest Moon / Stardew Valley but after you get friendship with the teen girls up you meet their moms and those are the real romance options.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:55 am

Thinking of the moms from Stardew specifically... I dunno, does Caroline also eat rocks?