Niku

Re: HOW WAS YOUR DAY

Postby Niku » Sun May 01, 2022 5:44 pm

fuck off megalovania rips

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sun May 01, 2022 6:24 pm

Sounds like something a weretiger would say.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Fri May 06, 2022 8:31 am

Last Friday, after two straight years of sleeping 12-16 hours per night, and 18 months after my Rx was sent in, the medical supply place finally managed to provide a CPAP to me.
Haven't quite got my mask straps adjusted perfectly, and waking up still feels like shit, but it sure does happen 5 hours faster.
Except, yesterday I noticed red lines on my face where the mask had been sitting. And today they were full on hive outbreaks.

And then I remembered, I have a skin condition where I'm allergic to being rubbed or pressed too hard.

So tonight, I'm scared of wearing the mask making the rash even worse, and I'm scared of sleeping without my CPAP and returning to the all-sleep-no-function hell of slowly suffocating my brain one-night-at-a-time that I thought I'd just finally escaped from.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Mon May 16, 2022 10:55 am

Someone entered our house, and drew a giant 3' dick on the wall in crayon.
I presume while the downstairs construction guys had the outer door propped open all day.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu May 19, 2022 6:16 pm

Oh I see the landlord has decided to double down on their threats to evict us unless we remove all our A/C units (which, according to every document from the city and province I have seen regarding leases in apts, we are fully and legally permitted to have), as we roll into what's supposed to be the hottest summer in human history.

I am going to absolutely double-check everything first, including speaking to a relevant lawyer, but I am definitely looking forward to some filthy proletarian rabble-rousing once I'm absolutely certain I'm standing on rock-solid ground.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri May 20, 2022 1:31 pm

"Under the terms of your lease..."
"That's not our lease. Which you yourself confirmed on Nov 30th."

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Fri May 20, 2022 1:33 pm

How could the landlord even care? Doesn't a window AC unit just...sit there? in the window?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri May 20, 2022 1:43 pm

Theoretically it's a safety issue (can fall out of window and kill someone, if you're really shit at putting one in and securing it - it's happened, though obviously not at our building), but they transparently don't because they don't distinguish between an A/C over a balcony, and one which isn't.

I put a full platform under our unit hanging out a window over open space, so it has zero leverage to tilt outwards at all.

I'm assuming they just want to cut hydro costs, because landlords. Landlords always care when they can take money from your pockets and put it into theirs, though these guys are just property managers so I have no idea what their incentives look like.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Fri May 20, 2022 2:08 pm

It might be because of the condensation they can cause. My uncle was a glazier and a large number of his calls at the end of summer and early fall were old buildings with wood window frames having their window frames literally rot out because of improperly installed window AC units leaking water on them for months at a time.

I should note, landlord is still being a shit and this should not be anything other than possibly him checking to make sure they're properly installed.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri May 20, 2022 2:14 pm

Mongrel wrote:Theoretically it's a safety issue (can fall out of window and kill someone, if you're really shit at putting one in and securing it - it's happened, though obviously not at our building)

I saw Fargo season 3.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri May 20, 2022 2:32 pm

Joxam wrote:It might be because of the condensation they can cause. My uncle was a glazier and a large number of his calls at the end of summer and early fall were old buildings with wood window frames having their window frames literally rot out because of improperly installed window AC units leaking water on them for months at a time.

I should note, landlord is still being a shit and this should not be anything other than possibly him checking to make sure they're properly installed.

Yeah, legally if they want them professionally installed it's at their expense and they can't prevent our using them in the meantime.

Also, our windowsill are metal.

Thad wrote:
Mongrel wrote:Theoretically it's a safety issue (can fall out of window and kill someone, if you're really shit at putting one in and securing it - it's happened, though obviously not at our building)

I saw Fargo season 3.

I meant it actually happened here in Toronto a few years back. A small kid was killed. :(

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri May 20, 2022 3:35 pm

Hi [Mongrel],
We can approve the use of window AC unit over balconies and on the ground floor however we recommend when you do replace the units that you do so with portable units.

Ahahahahah.

(Portable units means the ones which only have a hose to the outside)

I've been laughing so much today that... my it's hot in here! Why I think I'll turn on my AIR CONDITIONING.

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri May 20, 2022 4:54 pm

Thad wrote:I saw Fargo season 3.

I was thinking of that scene in Happy Gilmore.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:39 am

I made it to my psychiatrist appointment.

This is notable because they scheduled me for telehealth over Zoom instead of just a regular phonecall for whatever reason.

And that is notable because the power has been out in my house for the last fourteen hours, and is not estimated to be back on until much later today at best. No power, no wifi, no Zoom calls.

So I had to figure out where I could go that has both an internet connection and a measure of privacy.

I made it to my appointment, all thanks to my local library. Booked a study room and made it work.

For all that fuss and bother the conversation lasted less than five minutes. That's psychiatry for ya.

Now to go back home and throw out all the perishable food in my refrigerator.

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:49 am

Libraries are the best.
Sorry to hear about the power outage though.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:42 pm

Quick science question: how important is it to use sterile cotton swabs when messing with growing microbes? I guess I should explain a bit.

Our family likes reading Zoey and Sassafras books, where a young girl and her cat use the scientific method to solve magical problems. Caring for a baby dragon, cleaning a forest monster's moldy fur, growing a glowing seed pod, that kind of thing. It's pretty good for a kid's series!

We're rereading a story about helping a baby unicorn with a cut on their foot. After normal first aid doesn't stop an infection, they break out mom's petri dishes and agar powder to grow bacteria and test different antibiotic plants for a cure. They go through the whole process in pretty good detail, even including the recipe for the nutrient agar mix. This time around, I started wondering if we could do that at home (we'd already made yogurt with a recipe from the first chapter of the book. You know it's actually super easy to make that stuff?)

But I might have gotten a little too excited. I bought a stack of dishes, got it in the mail the other day, and went "wait, do we need sterile swabs, too? They didn't mention that in the book..." Can we get away with using regular old bathroom swabs? Or do I need to go down to the drug store?
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:17 pm

You're going to have a hard time telling the cultures in your peachtree dishes apart if you don't use sterile swabs. Everything will come out looking the same because of the bacteria stuck to the cotton getting into your agar.

Büge

Postby Büge » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:27 pm

Yoji wrote:Quick science question: how important is it to use sterile cotton swabs when messing with growing microbes? I guess I should explain a bit.

Our family likes reading Zoey and Sassafras books, where a young girl and her cat use the scientific method to solve magical problems. Caring for a baby dragon, cleaning a forest monster's moldy fur, growing a glowing seed pod, that kind of thing. It's pretty good for a kid's series!

Oh heck yes, I am so getting those books for my nieces!

Thanks, Yoji. :D

Mazian

Postby Mazian » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:11 am

It seems like a worrisome sign to receive a jury duty summons that specifies six days just for jury selection, followed by 23 days stretching across eight weeks already allocated for the trial itself.

Postby Newbie » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:32 am

This past spring, Julie got a semi-remote job in Philadelphia. We've been looking to move out of Wichita for a while, and since her new position paid more than mine, it made sense to officially work towards relocation. I set aside a week of vacation in April to drive our stuff and our cats the 21 hours cross-country. At the end of the week, she flew out to meet me there and move in, and I flew back to clean the last of our stuff out of storage and our apartment before looking for work in PA or a remote position of my own. We knew it could take a while for that to happen, but it still hasn't been easy: it became immediately obvious that I do actually have untreated ADHD and I'd been relying on her to compensate for my symptoms. Today, I got a job offer for a fully-remote position, so it looks like I'm finally going to be on the east coast permanently starting about two and a half weeks from now.
tiny text