Misinformation Peddlers

Friday

Misinformation Peddlers

Postby Friday » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:52 am

So can we move from "haha Joe Rogan is funny if a little stupid and potentially harmful, he has cool guests sometimes i really liked it when he had _____ on they talked about some really thought provoking things like what if reality isn't reality" to "Wow fuck this guy entirely" yet
ImageImageImage

Friday

Re: Misinformation Peddlers

Postby Friday » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:53 am

The rest of the thread doesn't have to be specifically about Joe Rogan, I just want a place for all this crap to go so when I click on other threads I don't have to worry (as much) about my blood pressure spiking and feeling awful for 20 minutes to a lifetime
ImageImageImage

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:26 pm

I don't remember which thread had all the original Alex Jones garbage, but seems like this is apt.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:49 pm

CW for the thread which goes into detail about the Sandy Hook massacre, the aftermath, and the continuing threats and harassment the families have faced.

Now, I'm not a lawyer and this is not legal advice, but if I had to guess whether it's a good idea or a bad idea to continue publicly insulting your victim on the day of your sentencing hearing, I think I'd probably go with "bad idea".

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:16 pm

Thad wrote:Now, I'm not a lawyer and this is not legal advice, but if I had to guess whether it's a good idea or a bad idea to continue publicly insulting your victim on the day of your sentencing hearing, I think I'd probably go with "bad idea".

I also kinda feel like maybe calling the judge a pedophile and the jury a bunch of ignorant poors is probably not the best strategy to go with.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:37 pm

I should stop reading this. The schadenfreude is delicious but it's making me anxious.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:48 pm

It's been kind of past schadenfreude for me for a while now, more a march to the sea. I want to see Jones crucified and his power broken, as a necessary public good; it's long past time InfoWars should have been burned to the ground such that not even ashes remain.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:29 pm

I think he'll have a show as long as he can still sell snake oil to rubes.

But I wouldn't be surprised to see some budget cuts in his future.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:32 pm

Headline this afternoon: "U.S. judge denies Alex Jones request for mistrial in defamation case"

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:56 pm

That's not notable in itself; Jones's attorney has pretty much constantly been demanding a mistrial. I saw this comment earlier but I can't find a primary source so I'm not sure if it's a direct quote, a paraphrase, or comic exaggeration:

Judge denies Jones’ attorney’s motion for a mistrial. Judge can’t even tell if the motion for a mistrial was serious, notes it’s “like the 17th time” they’ve asked for one.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:14 pm

$4.1 million nominal base award, $45.2 million in punitive.

Not enough, but apparently this is just the first of a half-dozen or more of nearly-identical lawsuits which are in process.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:20 am

Mongrel wrote:$4.1 million nominal base award, $45.2 million in punitive.

Not enough

It won't be once the judge cuts the punitive damages to $750,000-$900,000 since that's the cap under Texas law. Or so I'm hearing.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:34 am

Why am I not surprised Texas has such a law (I'm sure it's not the only such state).

EDIT: From the WaPo article on the award (which confirms the cap you mentioned at $750k, though that's per-plaintiff):
In court Friday, Bernard Pettingill, Jr., a forensic economist and former economics professor at the Florida Institute of Technology, testified he estimated the combined net worth of Jones and his business entities to be between $135 million and $270 million.

People really need to have this thrown at them over and over, that Jones' (and those like him) lying pays.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:47 am

Oh, and he'll definitely be fundraising off this. And use $49 million number.

Of the two suits still coming, one of them is also in Texas, and will have similar limitations on damages. But the other is in Connecticut, and I'm not sure what the relevant law is there.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:59 am

Game: Ruin any famous statement by adding "then CEO Mark Zuckerberg personally intervened."

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:15 am

Mongrel wrote:Game: Ruin any famous statement by adding "then CEO Mark Zuckerberg personally intervened."

But then there was Fire and with fire came disparity. Heat and cold, life and death, and of course, light and dark. Then from the dark, They came, and found the Souls of Lords within the flame. Nito, the First of the Dead, The Witch of Izalith and her Daughters of Chaos, Gwyn, the Lord of Sunlight, and his faithful knights. And the Furtive Pygmy, so easily forgotten.

Then, Mark Zuckerberg personally intervened...

Seriously, I often wonder what happens to these people. Zuck's about my age, but... I mean, we're looking at the same facts, right? We've both grown up learning that Jones is crazy scum, and this is what you choose?
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:04 am

I don't know if The Zuck is full-on Qrazy or anything, but regardless of his personal beliefs... Crazy scum drives engagement, and engagement makes money.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:25 am

It's funny to me that everyone in the 90s was worried about the darkside of the internet having a negative effect on society, but the thing that ended up doing the most harm was the most mainstream thing on the whole goddamn thing.
ImageImageImage

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:39 pm

Facebook and Fox News did to our parents what they were afraid video games would do to us

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:16 pm

nosimpleway wrote:I don't know if The Zuck is full-on Qrazy or anything, but regardless of his personal beliefs... Crazy scum drives engagement, and engagement makes money.

Yeah, I don't think anyone believes he's a conspiracy theorist because that would require actual beliefs. He's more a soulless husk, a hole torn through creation showing the void beneath.