Twitter Dee & Twitter Dumb

Yoji

Re: Twitter Dee & Twitter Dumb

Postby Yoji » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:54 pm

Hey chums, I just want someone to check something for me: is it just me, or has @realDonaldTrump just been reactivated??
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:24 pm

Yoji wrote:Hey chums, I just want someone to check something for me: is it just me, or has @realDonaldTrump just been reactivated??

It has.
See, Musk ran a Twitter poll to decide if he should be unbanned... because we absolutely live in a hellworld.

Mazian

Postby Mazian » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:38 pm

A poll that had suspiciously little motion over time, weighted in the direction of exactly what Musk said he'd do months ago.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:17 pm

In better news, dril archive:

Direct link for when the band stops playing: Google Spreadsheet

Hardly an ideal format, but lots better than the alternative.

Büge

Postby Büge » Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:23 am

hngkong wrote:
Yoji wrote:Hey chums, I just want someone to check something for me: is it just me, or has @realDonaldTrump just been reactivated??

It has.
See, Musk ran a Twitter poll to decide if he should be unbanned... because we absolutely live in a hellworld.

And then Trump announced that he was staying on his own platform (probably because he doesn't want to send the message that he needed someone else's help).

Büge

Postby Büge » Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:02 pm

ahahahaha

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:09 pm

I really, really want this to be real.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:52 pm

I've got the perfect social media solution for folks coming from Twitter, it's called Amontillado, come down to my basement to sign up

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:29 pm

Büge wrote:
hngkong wrote:

It has.

And then Trump announced that he was staying on his own platform (probably because he doesn't want to send the message that he needed someone else's help).

I heard he has some kind of contract with TruthSocial that requires him to post there.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:49 pm

Yeah, but I doubt his dedication to honoring contracts is a major motivator.

Grath

Postby Grath » Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:48 pm

My understanding is that he's in a position to make a profit off of the upcoming sale of Truth Social, and he's always out for a quick buck.

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:11 pm

Crick

Postby Crick » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:52 pm

I have a fear he'll never really have to face consequences, but him picking a fight with Apple is a pretty great way to test that. One of the biggest corps in the world. The desperate "they hate freeze peach" framing is showing his hand.

Grath

Postby Grath » Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:57 am

Apple kicked off Fortnite, which had more active users than Twitter has total users and was paying them billions of dollars in microtransactions. Elon continues to fuck around, and at this point finding out is very much a matter of when not if.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:10 pm

Yeah, he's not going to go to jail, but he's still blown $44 billion of his own money to do long-term, probably permanent, damage to his reputation that's going to hinder his business dealings for the foreseeable future. And, perhaps even worse from his perspective, people are laughing at him.

That's the part that's already happened. That's not even getting into the various lawsuits and multinational government investigations he's facing. The FTC doesn't fuck around, and the EU's got much stricter regulations than ours. Things are going to get worse for him in the coming year.

He'll still be rich and powerful when this is all over, but he'll be substantially less rich and powerful.

And he won't learn a goddamn thing from it. Guys like him, nothing bad that happens to them is ever their fault. He's well on his way to blaming everything bad that happens to him on a vast conspiracy by "activists" and "puppetmasters", and he's just smart enough to stop short of saying "the Jews" out loud. So far.

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:27 pm

While actual, legal action against him would be satisfying, I think the most likely outcome of all of this will be that governments and media will suddenly start applying a critical eye to the things he does and says

For example, the Wall Street Journal has begun investigating the failures of the Boring Company to deliver... anything
signature

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:07 pm

Crick

Postby Crick » Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:09 pm

Everything is so hardcore geared to GDPR, I can't imagine they'll take anything lying down. They'll hit him hard whenever he gets their attention.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:48 pm

EU and US turn up the heat on Elon Musk over Twitter

The European Commission on Wednesday threatened Musk with a ban unless Twitter abides by strict content moderation rules, as US Treasury secretary Janet Yellen indicated that Washington was reviewing his purchase of the social network.

The warning from Brussels came in a video call between Musk and Thierry Breton, the EU’s commissioner in charge of implementing the bloc’s digital rules, according to people with knowledge of the conversation.

Breton told Musk that Twitter must adhere to a checklist of rules, including ditching an “arbitrary” approach to reinstating banned users, pursuing disinformation “aggressively” and agreeing to an “extensive independent audit” of the platform by next year.

Musk was warned that unless he stuck to those rules Twitter risked infringing the EU’s new Digital Services Act, a new law that sets the global standard for how Big Tech must police content on the internet. Breton reiterated Twitter could face a Europe-wide ban or fines of up to 6 per cent of global turnover if it breached the law.