(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ Animes

KingRoyal

Re: (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ Animes

Postby KingRoyal » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:03 pm

Here's that Junji Ito anime you ordered. No, not the Uzumaki one that's never going to come out still in production, this ones an anthology
signature

Büge

Postby Büge » Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:22 pm

This sums up the anime season nicely.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:56 pm

Did a re-watch of Macross with some people that've never seen it. Fuck I love that show.

It's at once cool, goofy-as-the-dickens, funny, and interesting.

I think one of my favorite recurring bits this time around was the bridge bunnies, particularly Shammy, being literally the second- and third-in-command of the entire ship, despite also being gossiping valley girls. The rollerball pinpoint barrier system continues to be the greatest moment of the show in my humble opinion.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:28 am

I almost went in to Trigun: Stampede when I saw the english dub was good quality, before learning that the meryl-like character is actually meryl without milly. So fuck that.

Upthorn had watched the first episodes and shared thoughts that generally lined up with what I expected of the series. But recently B34T had a twitter thread on actually watching the first few episodes, and it hit more on what I feel about these types of reboots. Specifically from

to

These kinds of retellings rely on the original source material. You're not going to get the same characters and moments as the original because it's not the original. There's something to be had for it as extended material for fans of the series, but when you tell a story a second time it wont come out the same. There will be assumptions and biases.

This doesn't annoy me as much with manga-ovas. I don't know if it's the new medium or at least attempting to tell the exact same story the same way, but it doesn't feel the same. And it's definitely something you can say doesn't matter, and I have no objective truth that it does matter, but it feels like it's hurting the story for people that experience Stampede first.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:24 am

This review is way past due, but Jujutsu Kaisen is exactly the show you would get if Bleach were Naruto.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu May 25, 2023 12:46 pm

Dungeon Meshi by studio trigger, dropping at the start of next year.

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu May 25, 2023 6:01 pm

trailer!

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Thu May 25, 2023 11:27 pm

Heavenly Delusion is a post-apocalyptic horror that took my breath away at the end of episode two when Kiruko responds to Maru's confession of a crush with "Listen, my body is female, but my head, that is, my brain is a guy's."

It followed this up with an episode long flashback that ends up with this character waking up from non-consensual brain-transplant surgery, to discover their best friend/secret crush is dead, with his brain in her body.

Upon hearing this story, Maru asks if he should stop using the nickname "sis", and Kiruko is like "eh, whatever, we're both used to it by now."

And then it never really comes up again. Maru continues to treat Kiruko as female, and object of his cis-het affections. Kiruko continues dressing and talking boyishly.

I'm a little unsure what to think about this specific aspect of it, but it also has some pretty compelling mystery elements that keep me coming back.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri May 26, 2023 12:11 am

Seconding this, it's a pretty insane premise, and it's animated well. I like it a lot. Fucking brain-swapping is dropped into this like it's nothing.

Kinda feel like it's actually been good about gender in a lot of ways? The main pairing is between two guys (one now in the body of a woman), and it's been a fun dynamic. I have no idea if they're going to fuck it up at the end, but ideally, he comes to realize he's fallen in love with this guy, and not just the female body. But, who knows. There's also a separate subplot with a lesbian pairing that seems positive.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:03 am

A Suicide Squad WHAT?

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:12 pm

And Superman is getting a shonen series
signature

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:56 pm

KingRoyal wrote:And Superman is getting a shonen series

with a magical girl transformation sequence

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:32 am

Pretty much, and the whole thing fucking rules. They nail Clark, Lois, Jimmy and Perry White right off the bat, and even include the Newskid Legion. And there's nice little character touches, such as Clark getting angry at Lois for lying to him about something, only to wonder allowed if he would have actually helped Lois even if she hadn't lied. Or how his powers only manifest as a child the moment he sees someone in danger

Also, comically, it has pretty-boy Deathstroke voiced by Chris Parnell of all people

Highly recommend

Don't take my word for it, first episode is up on YouTube
signature

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:41 pm

Baki Hanma is the series at its best, which is a series of absolutely zero-stakes conflicts between the world's strongest men interspersed with the entire history of martial arts explained through Chat-GPT hallucinations.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:58 pm

KingRoyal wrote:Pretty much, and the whole thing fucking rules.

Yeah, I'm fucking loving My Adventures with Superman.

KingRoyal wrote:They nail Clark, Lois, Jimmy and Perry White right off the bat, and even include the Newskid Legion.

It does have a pleasing proportion of Kirby. Without even getting into the New Gods as yet. (Though we've got New Gods-adjacent stuff like Intergang and the aforementioned Newskid Legion.)

Also I loved this version of the Brain and Monsieur Mallah.

(Also also I love that when Mallah first showed up my reaction was "Okay, which talking gorilla is this going to be?" He was my third guess.)

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:47 pm

I'm In Love with the Villainess is an isekai where a woman gets reincarnated in the world of her favorite otome game and, being too gay to function, immediately pronounces her love for the bully/rival "villainess" character and starts demanding to be stepped on harder.

It's kind of amazing. 8/8, strong recommend.

Caveat: I've only seen the first episode. But it's phenomenal.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:50 am

I'm In Love with the Villainess update:
Well, the first episode is still worth watching even if you don't continue the series

Niku

Postby Niku » Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:30 am

THE ONE PIECE IS REAL

no, The One Piece is actually real; the anime is being remade by wit studio starting from the very beginning as The One Piece. we gettin' one piece brotherhood. decades of neglect from toei and pacing problems from running out of source material have the opportunity to be corrected. this is potentially exciting as hell.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:03 am

Dungeon Meshi isn't really doing it for me yet, I'm hoping it gets less one-note
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:10 pm

It definitely hasn't been playing to Studio Trigger's strengths so far...